Beverly Palm Plaza  Beverly Hills, CA           In 1951, the 5,200 sf. masonry building erected on this site became the first of more than 300 auto body paint shops to be built nationwide by the Earl Sheib Corporation. In recycling the building to a retail center, the area was more than doubled from 5,200 sf. to 12,000 sf., but the one-story scale and low FAR was maintained on the 24,500 sf. site.

The design concept is simple - a central anchor wall, part of the original building front, provides a sign board while a 12 foot undulating glass and metal storefront and metal trellis weaves through the 26 foot high wall forming an arcade and sunscreen. The polished metal mullions with variable spacing reinforces the curvelinear character of the storefront and adds whimsey to an otherwise predictable corner retail center.